Since August, God has called ChristWay to something unique to accomplish two main tasks:
Stronger Discipleship Within our Church
Reaching Further in our Community and World
Often these two ideas can seem like polar opposites as a church can quickly become only inward focused with discipleship or solely outward focused in reaching new people for Jesus. A one sided approach was never the heartbeat of Jesus for the global church. It was designed to be built on disciples who made disciples so that the whole earth would know His name!
David faced a foe from Gath named Goliath. He taunted the people of God and the God they served while they sat on the mountain afraid to move. In our lives, we have an accuser who taunts us at well. He distracts us from the victory that we have in Jesus. We will not stand idly by and allow him to win. Together we will charge the valley to take out the guy from Gath.
To keep from just staying on the mountaintop and in order to “charge the valley,” as a church we each need to pick up 5 stones over the next four months. These fives stones are meant to draw us closer to the heart that Jesus has for the world.
1. Prayer. God created us to glorify his name and to be drawn into relationship with Him. Seeking Him for wisdom, listening for His guidance, praising Him for His goodness is all part of our heart looking more like His.
2. Attendance. The local church is the hope of the world and we know we can accomplish inﬁnitely more together than apart.
3. Sacrificial Giving. We give up things we love for things we love even more. It’s an honor to sacriﬁce for Christ and His church. We will lead the way with irrational generosity.
4. Serve Wholeheartedly. We are spiritual contributors not spiritual consumers. The church does not exist for us. We are the church and we exist for the world.
5. Reach Out. We want to do whatever it takes to reach people in our community who don’t know Christ. To reach people no one is reaching, we’ll have to do things no one is doing.
Having these five stones to guide us will help to keep us focused on reaching the people that we each are uniquely equipped to reach. Ask God to reveal what He's planned for you, the strengths He's built into you and the passions He's burdened you with then make yourself available. Then, you will see God move you in ways you never thought possible!